I’ve never trusted my own views or perspectives on anything, until recently. I have always had longings, instincts, feelings to perform tasks, act on ideas, or follow certain life paths. But I always let two things stop me fear and lack of self-esteem. The two worked hand in hand to thwart my efforts toward self-improvement, or simply acting on an idea.
I am notorious for procrastinating. A friend of mine once said that procrastination is simply fear getting in the way of our dreams. That same friend taught me to conquer my fear and live fearlessly, without regret, to follow my heart. Action conquers fear and the only way to live your dreams is to push past the fear. The times in my life, when I lived fearlessly, when I followed my heart, always ended up being the some of the best decisions of my life.
My blog, The Purple Almond, is one of those decisions. I followed my heart when I started this blog, which took a huge leap of faith. And I’m so glad I did. I’ve learned so many things starting this blog and beginning to live fearlessly, but I’m going to share three of them with you today.
- First, you must be self-confident and recognize your unique and beautiful qualities;
- It’s important to view everything from different perspectives;
- AND, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS…follow your heart.
When I started receiving awards shortly after beginning my blog, I was truly shocked. When I post articles, I am always following my heart and posting what I love. I have never felt that what I was doing was anything special. After all, I was just being myself. I am still amazed and humbled by my brilliantly talented fellow bloggers when they nominate me for awards. That hasn’t changed and is the case with my three newest awards. For each of the 3 awards below, I’ve included an inspirational video, which highlights one of the three things I’ve learned since starting my blog.
Since this is going to be a long post, I’ll get to it.
Before that I’d like to reach out
to the bloggers who nominated me and say:
One Lovely Blog Award
“There is only one kind of beautiful,
and that is you!”
I’d like to thank Keith McArthur at My Instruction Manual., who nominated me for this award. I first met Keith when he asked me to be a founding member of the Facebook group Self-Improvement Bloggers Alliance (SIBA). Keith’s wonderful blog includes inspiring posts, quotes and books. Here is his blog description in his own words:
“In April of 2017 I got a second chance at life when my sister gave me a kidney. I’m determined not to waste this precious gift. My Instruction Manual is my exploration of how to be happy, healthy, connected, organized, inspired and fun.”
Thank you Keith! I am so grateful to have received this award from you! Thank you for thinking of me.
The rules of the One Lovely Blog Award are simple:
Thank the person who nominated you
Share 7 facts about yourself
Nominate 15 bloggers and inform them of the nomination
- (at the bottom of the page)
7 Facts About Me
- My grandmother is 100 years old.
- I have one sister and no brothers.
- I have a double major in Elementary and Special Education.
- I have been married for 25 years.
- I hate “slimy” food.
- I wear contacts/glasses.
- I have blue eyes.
Thanks again to Keith! You are amazing! I’m excited to be a part of SIBO and trying to get it off the ground.
Blogger Recognition Award
(This one is REALLY cool!)
“Here’s to those who always
see things differently.”
A HUGE THANK YOU to Sophie at Food Zesty, who nominated for this next award. Sophie’s blog contains amazing recipes, such as Pasta Pie (Makaronopita). Here is a bit about Sophie in her own words:
“Welcome to a small corner of my Greek Heritage. Growing up in New York from Greek parents, was a challenge of its own…but the traditional food, tastes and aromas that my mother cooked always travelled me back to Greece.”
Thank you so very much Sophie! I am so very grateful for this nomination. You are amazing!
Here are the rules for accepting this award
Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
Write a post to show your award.
Give a brief story of how your blog started.
Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
Select 10-15 other bloggers you want to give this award to.
This is how I started my blog:
I was the blog writer at a credit union a few years ago. When I quit the credit union to go back to school, I missed blogging. I decided to start my own blog, passing on the information I learn along the way.
New Bloggers Advice:
- Socialize with other bloggers – When I say this, I mean follow others, like other people’s blogs, reblog other posts, and comment on articles. Basically, it’s the “Golden rule” of blogging. Treat others how you wish to be treated. We all like follows, comments, likes and reblogs. So, pass on the love.
- I highly recommend a schedule – This will help you be consistent and organized. You’ll be more likely to get followers if they know what to expect and when.
- WRITE WHAT YOU LOVE AND FOLLOW YOUR HEART! (I know there was supposed to be 2, but I couldn’t decide, so included 3!)
Unique Blogger Award
Follow your Heart
“You’re time is limited.
So, don’t waste it living
someone else’s life.
Don’t be trapped by dogma.”
I’d like to pass on a huge, sincere and heart felt THANK YOU to Nisha at InspiresN. Nisha’s blog posts delightful recipes, inspiring quotes and beautiful photography. Here’s a bit from Nisha:
“InspiresN is dedicated to some of the things that I am passionate about and inspires me . Here I shall feature my tried and successful recipes , memorable and favorite clicks, lessons learned in photography with tips and tricks .( I am a beginner in photography and hope to better as I click and explore) and quotes.”
Nisha…THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! I am honored you thought of me for this wonderful award. It’s a first for me. Thank you again!
Share the link with the blogger who has shown love to you by nominating you.
Answer the questions.
In the spirit of sharing love with our blogging family, nominate 15 people and notify them. (Bottom of the page!)
Ask them three questions.
Questions from Nisha:
- Q1. How do you get the motivation for new posts in your blog?
- My nutrition posts come mainly from what I’m learning in school. I also do a lot of reading and documentary watching, which gives me many of my ideas as well. The news is always full of great nutrition tid bits.
- As far as my motivation posts, I simply follow my heart. I just start searching and something usually “pops up” or jumps out at me.
- Q2. What is your favorite travel destination ?
- When I lived overseas, we saw a lot of beautiful countries, but my 2 favorites are Greece and Scotland
- I have a dream of one day visiting Antarctica
- Q3. What was the most proudest moment of your life ?
- Wow, I can’t pick just one. 1) my kids being born 2) my older son graduating from HS 3) my younger son being nominated to 5 different honor societies 4) Me graduating from college and entering Graduate School. 5) Getting married to the man of my dreams.
My questions for my nominees:
- If you could sit on a bench for an hour and talk with ANYONE (Past/present/dead/alive) … who would it be and why?
- If money were no object, what would you do with your life/as a career?
- If you could travel to Mars to live and help start up a new colony, would you go, even knowing you’d never return to Earth? Why or why not?
My nominees are:
(THE 15 BLOGGERS BELOW ARE NOMINATED FOR ALL THREE AWARDS!)
Okay everyone! There you have it! I hope you enjoyed everything. Please give all of the phenomenal bloggers above a visit and a follow! Have a wonderful day everyone!
(BTW-Since it’s a holiday today, this is the only post for today!)