For today’s video/recipe:
Fat Bomb Smoothies
scroll to the bottom of the page.
For those of you unfamiliar with the ketogenic diet, you can watch the “mini-course”, but basically, it’s a diet in which you eat the bulk of your calories in fat, HOPEFULLY…HEALTHY FATS, such as avocado, coconut oil, nuts, seeds, salmon, grass-fed butter/ghee, etc. The macronutrient ratio for a typical keto dieter is 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs – theoretically, SHOULD be in the form of vegetables. A HEALTHY, clean eating keto diet would look like this:
Many people struggle to reach that “70%” mark, for fat intake. One way people boost their fat intake is through “fat bombs”, which are very small, typically bite size snacks which are very high in fat. They give dieters a boost of energy and help them reach their fat intake for the day.
Many fat bombs aren’t so healthy, SO…This week, I’ve scoured youtube and the internet for healthy versions of this keto classic snack.
Today’s recipe is: Fat Bomb Smoothies
Fat Bomb Smoothie
Throw the ingredients in a blender, it's as simple as that...and oh so tasty!
- Liquid – use Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Heavy Cream
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- MCT Oil
- Liquid Stevia
- Spinach – LOTS of it!
- Protein Powder
- Throw everything in the blender and blend. Experiment with amounts, ingredients. Make it your own.
Tips from the Keto Dad:
- Keep the amount of berries small – like less than 1/4 cup
- Eliminate the Greek Yogurt (if you want less carbs)- even the best still have carbs you may want to avoid
- If you’re getting too much fat, use almond milk instead of heavy cream – this can also make it dairy free!
- More spinach! You should be getting the majority of your carbs from veggies!