As the days and weeks tick by and the deadline to lose weight and gain health looms ever closer, I am more aware of my progress, or lack there of, than ever before. With that said, I can still reach my goal, with an increase in weekly weight loss, over the next 34 weeks, of 1.5 pounds, instead of 1 pound. Now, I know what many of you are thinking… this can’t be just about weight loss, and I agree and understand that. But, at the end of the day, my ultimate goal is, after all, to lose weight.
Now, a few weeks ago, I changed from focusing on the weekly weight loss goal, to focusing on goals which will help me achieve that goal. So, I stopped tracking my weight loss on this blog each week, and began tracking the steps which help me reach the weekly goal:
- tracking food
- counting calories
- daily exercise
- daily meditation
- proper sleep
I began with food tracking…Over the past 3 weeks, I’ve attempted to track my food intake. After exercise, this is one of my least favorite things to do and I’ve had mixed amounts of success. My goal was to track my food every day for 21 days, thus establishing a habit of tracking food. I was successful about 4 or 5 days a week, which isn’t good enough to establish a habit. SO, I set out to find phone apps that would make it easier for people like me to track food. I had been using MyNetDIary.com, which is a PHENOMENAL app, but just wasn’t working for me. I found 2 apps, which I love, that cover the first 2 goals – tracking food and counting calories.
This app is phenomenal for lazy people like me, who know they need to track food, but don’t want to or are a bit lazy. You take a photo of your meal and log whether the meal fits onto your healthy path or is “off path”. It also allows you to log liquids and exercise, as well as text only meal entries. I have opted to become a member for $2.99/month, at least until I lose the desired weight. This allows for the extra tracking and fluid intake.
What I like about it:
- Easy food tracking via a quick photo
- Tracks how often your stay on a healthy eating path, via a daily and weekly percentile. I advocate and 85/15 lifestyle – which means you eat healthy 85% of the time and have fun the other 15%. This app helps you track that.
- Tracks total number of meals in a week
- Tracks meal frequency (hours between meals)
- Tracks overnight fasting (perfect for those using intermittent fasting, such as myself. It automatically calculates the hours since your last meal, so you don’t have to calculate it!)
- Track water intake
- Track activity
- Take notes
- Set reminders to log food
- Track when, where and why you ate.
- Links to health tracker on my iPhone, and automatically logs my activity/steps
- There is something powerful about SEEING the food you’re eating, especially when you have a “cheat” food!
What I don’t like: It doesn’t track calorie intake, which brings me to my next app!
- This one reminds me of the old Richard Simmons food mover system, where you tracked calories by closing windows on a device such as the one below.
This app, which cost $0.99 to download, works essentially the same as a food mover. You initially tell the app how many servings of each food you want, and check off as the day goes by. You can also tell the app how many calories you want to eat each day. This is a good app, though not sure it was worth the $0.99.
What I like:
- Simple and easy to use
- Tracks calories
What I don’t like:
- It doesn’t tell you what a serving is, or how many calories are in a serving, so the user needs to either know already, or find out on their own.
Finally, the exercise app I’ve come to depend on:
I LOVE this 8Fit.com app! I HATE exercise, but it has helped me to fall in love with HIIT exercises. The HIIT exercise routines are short, which helps if you’re lazy or don’t like exercise, but the exercises are also challenging. I am currently on Novice level 2. Along with my daily cardio, I do the daily HIIT workout, which always proves to be a challenge.
What I like:
- It links with the health tracker on iPhone, and automatically tracks steps, etc.
- You can pay extra to have a personalized meal plan, and fitness classes.
- You can log other activity
- Set reminders to exercise
What I don’t like:
- I don’t like is having to pay extra for recipes/meals
- You can’t track meals
So, there you have it, diet and fitness apps for lazy people! No matter your level or ambition, there are ALWAYS ways to reach your goals.
Until next time…Namaste my friends