As of 2013, it is estimated that approximately 129 million children worldwide have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). (2) The mind-body connection so prevalent in Yoga can have a beneficial impact on individuals with ADHD. Some benefits of yoga for individual with ADHD include: (3)
• Decreased Fidgeting
• Connection between body, mind and spirit
• Improved Focus
• Improved levels of flexibility
• Increase strength and muscle mass
• More balanced metabolism and digestion
• Relaxation and quieting of the mind
• Promote empathy for others
• Decreasing stress and anxiety
• Improved lung capacity, energy level and respiration
If you’ve spent any time doing yoga, you know just how calming it can be. These same benefits can help your child as well.
Besides the benefits stated above, here are a few other reasons you may want to introduce yoga to your children: (1)
Below, I have gathered together some yoga poses, information and videos for you. There is a ton of information on the web about teaching yoga to kids. It is my hope that I have peaked your curiosity on this topic. ENJOY!
Yoga for kids resources:
I have pulled some of the super fun Cosmic Kid videos for you to see. There are so many more at www.cosmickids.com and the Cosmic Kids Yoga youtube channel. (Keep in mind, when you watch them…they are meant for young children! 😉 They are meant to engage the kids, get them moving and most of all, help them have fun while they exercise!)