As we continue on into this new year, I am determined to get myself into better shape. I have the nutrition side of it down, but fitness and exercise are a HUGE sticking point for me. I’ll be blunt…
I HATE TO EXERCISE!
But, I know just how crucial exercise is to our overall health, so I need to find some inspiration. This past weekend, I shared a post with you about Ernestine Shephard, the world’s oldest female body builder. Today, I would like to introduce you to Charles Eugster, a 98 year old athlete, and considered the fittest pensioner on the planet. Born on July 26, 1919 in London, U.K., he was active in rowing, boxing and skiing in his youth.
But, as he grew older, he became less active. So, in his mid-60’s, he began skiing and rowing again. For 20 years, he reigned over senior rowing, eventually winning 35 masters gold medals.
He didn’t begin lifting weights until he was 87, for vain reasons…his muscles had begun to sag quite a bit and he had a “pancake butt.” (his words! 😊)
“He craved strength, a longer life, and the attention of “babes.” (1)
Not only did he lift weights, but he also began sprinting.
“He won three Stren-Flex World titles, and recently broke the 200 meter and 60 meter world records for the 95+ age group.”
Here are a few of his accomplishments: (1)
- 95+ World Sprint Records
- 200 meters: 54.77 seconds
- 60 meters: 14.56
- 1997 Munich Euro Masters: 1
- 1998 Munich World Masters: 2
- 1999 Seville World Masters: 2
- 2000 Hazewinkel World Masters: 3
- 2001 Munich Euro Masters: 3
- 2002 Racice World Masters: 2
- 2003 Vichy World Masters: 2
- 2004 Hamburg World Masters: 3
- 2005 Strathclyde World Masters: 1
- 2006 Munich Euro Masters: 2
- 2006 Princeton World Masters: 2
- 2007 Zagreb World Masters: 3
- 2008 Trakai World Masters: 4
- 2009 Vienna World Masters: 1
So, I leave you with a short video, highlighting Mr. Eugster.
“ANYONE CAN DO IT.” he says
So, no more excuses, for me…or any of you!