My Food Journal: Goals, Sugar & Elimination Diet – Days 9 to 15 (July 18 to July 24, 2017)
Today, since I’m so late getting posting this article, I’m going to be short and sweet with this post. First, I’m going to take a look at how my goals are going…
On May 20, 2017, I wrote a blog discussing my problems with soda, and wrote some goals, which were updated on June 11, 2017. On the list below, I have crossed out the goals that have been accomplished.
HERE ARE THE ORIGINAL GOALS: (TODAY’S UPDATES ARE IN RED)
“stay away from soda-
UPDATE – I have now been sugar/soda free for 70 days.
“Walk 5 miles a day–
My goal was to work up to walking 5 miles a day (10,000 steps)
- (TIMELINE-ACCOMPLISH THIS BY AUGUST 31, 2017)
- UPDATE – I am behind on this goal, but it is still achievable. By now, I should be walking 7000 steps a day. This week I only averaged between 2000 – 3000 steps a day. I didn’t take regular walks this week. However, on my normal walks, I average 6000 steps a day, which is approximately 3 miles. I have been increasing the weekly goal by 500 steps a day. In order to reach my goal by August 31, I’ll need to increase the weekly goal by 750 steps per day.
Meditate every day for 30 minutes– This is easily accomplished, it will just take the ambition to get it done.
This was to begin on July 21, 2017
- UPDATE: This has not started. I will put this on top of my agenda for this week.
Drink 100 ounces of water a day-When I’m not drinking soda, I drink only water. So no problem here. I track it with mynetdiary.com
- UPDATE: I currently drink 180 ounces of water a day
Eat whole foods 90% of the time.-allow myself to eat 1 or 2 “fun foods” a week (non-sugary of course.)
- UPDATE: On my elimination diet, I am eating whole foods approximately 95% of the time.
Log all food/meals-Again-easy enough to do…just need to do it.(Begin this June 11, 2017) Tracked with mynetdiary.com
- UPDATE: This is being done on a fairly regular basis.
Do power yoga 2 times during the week– every Tuesday and Thursday – I hate lifting weights, but LOVE LOVE LOVE yoga. I’m hoping that by doing power yoga instead, my muscle tone will improve. (begin this on July 1, 2017)
- UPDATE: I have a lot of trouble working yoga into my daily routine. I need to get more organized. I have only done yoga a few time since the beginning of the month.
So, as you can see, I’m doing well on the food portion of the goals, but fall well short on the exercise portion of the goals. I have always struggled with exercise and fitness, never really enjoying it. I do like walking, but find excuses not to go walking in the heat. I LOVE doing yoga, but it sometimes feels like a guilty pleasure, when I have so many other things to do. Meditation is the same, it just seems a little too enjoyable, when there’s work to be done. But, I must remind myself, that meditation and yoga are just as beneficial to the body as walking and proper nutrition.
ELIMINATION DIET DAYS 9 to 15.
Well, the first 2 weeks are under my belt, just 1 week left, until I can begin adding foods back in…maybe. I may end up going 4 weeks. My headaches are basically gone, but the congestion, though lessened, still remains. I had been eating almonds, which are allowed on some versions of the elimination diet. I have decided to remove them, in an effort to confront this ongoing congestion. My other symptoms, fatigue, psoriasis, and arthritis are completely gone. Now I just need to figure out that darn congestion.
My weight loss for this past week was only 1 pound. However, considering I lost almost 5 pounds last week, this isn’t surprising. Also, I basically did not exercise last week, so losing a pound…without exercise…eating more carbs….eating more calories, I’m happy with the loss.
Here are my food log totals for this week:
- Average Calories/day – 1503.71
- Macronutrient percentages
- Fat average – 27% – 47 grams
- Carbohydrate average – 53% – 207 grams
- Protein average – 19% – 75 grams
- Fiber average – 29 grams
If you’d like to take a look at my weekly food log, you can follow this link: FOOD_LOG_JULY18_TO_JULY24_2017