Ok, I know this is normally posted on the weekends, and I have done a spotty job at best when it comes to posting these journals, which is why this is coming out late. I’m playing catch up with my journal, my daily logs and the weekly posts on my other site. I have also come to a conclusion about weekend posts, I can’t do it, nope! I thought I could squeeze in a few posts on each blog over the weekend, but, as it turns out, I bit off more than I can chew with that idea. There is just too much going on over the weekend, besides all the housework I neglect during the week, I do meal planning, prep and grocery shopping, along with laundry, ironing and lots of homework. Oh, and in between all that I spend quality time with my family. So, because of all that, weekend posts have come to an end for me on both my sites, this one and my other (very little) site: mywalkinthewoods.wordpress.com.
On July 12, 2017, I posted a new schedule, which basically cut my regular post schedule almost in half. With that said, just this morning, actually about 1:00 in the morning! 😉 , I updated that schedule to include the following changes:
- Daily logs have been eliminated. I realize these are posted during the week. But, I don’t like to do anything half way or piecemeal. If I can’t do it properly, it’s better to take it out completely. What can I say? It’s that South Dakota, midwestern upbringing and some very strict parents. As much as I love all of you, when my family is together in the evening, the last thing I want to do is pull out my computer, which is what needs to happen for these posts. Due to the nature of the logs, they must each be created daily. Now, I started these logs mainly for my benefit, to help me stay on track for my goals and during my elimination diet. But they have become a bit too much. One of those things that sounded good at the time, BUT… in the end, not so much. 😉
- Instead, I have decided to include the same information at the end of the My Food Journal. Each journal will include daily calories, averages, weight loss (if any), food logs and exercise for the previous 7 days. That way I’m still holding myself accountable to myself and all of you.
- My Food Journal is moving to Monday– The food journal started out on Saturday morning…then Saturday nite …then Sunday morning…then Sunday night…now Monday. Are you seeing a trend here? LOL! 🙂 Now, I have gotten a lot of wonderful, positive and very supportive feedback about my journal. So, it is absolutely staying. I just need to find the right time. As stated above, weekends are absolutely not the right time. I kept moving the weekend times because I thought I just needed a bit more time. But, before I knew it the weekend had flown by and I hadn’t written my journal. That’s why I’m banning it from my weekends and moving it to Monday. This will hopefully make it more consistent. We shall see! 😉
The remainder of my schedule will stay the same, as of July 12, 2017. You can see the schedule HERE, or on the left side panel.
Now, onto the actual journal! How my elimination diet is going.
Up until this past week, for the past several years, I had been attempting to eat less carbs, and more fat/protein. I still ate starchy carbs, but tried to keep the daily total under 100 grams per day. I consider my diet very healthy, eating anywhere from 70 to 90% of my diet as whole foods. My only vice was soda, which we all know causes weight gain.
Despite eating healthy, my weight has been slowly creeping up over the past 5 years or so, a few pounds here and there, it added up! It is too the point where I am almost the same weight I was before I lost 50 pounds. (Almost). I attributed this to the soda I was drinking, which I struggled greatly to give up.
So, once I gave up soda, about 2 months ago, I expected the weight to just fall off. After all, my diet was almost completely whole food and I drank 100 ounces of water a day. I was following the proper calories in/calories out model. You know- eat less and burn more. I was walking 30 to 60 minutes 5 days a week and tried to fit in yoga when time allowed. But, the scale didn’t budge! In fact, for a while, I gained weight! It was quite frustrating.
I tried almost everything. After I gave up soda, I went on a juice fast, like I did before my last weight loss, with no luck. It cleansed me, and helped with my arthritis and psoriasis, but I didn’t lose any weight that week. (As a point of reference, the first time I did a juice fast, I lost 11 pounds in 10 days.) I tried the ketogenic diet and GAINED MORE WEIGHT! I went off of keto, cut my calories, but kept my carbs under 100 grams per day and moved more. My weight stayed the same. No weight gain, but no loss either. I didn’t know what to do. It was infuriating hearing of people using keto to lose weight, while it caused me to gain weight. I didn’t know what was going on. (As you may have suspected, we haven’t covered this is school yet.) The research was up to me. So that’s what I did. I researched, and found the answer to help me…
I recently read a very interesting book, which I’ll tell you about in another blog. This book walks you through calculating what your magic macronutrient ratio should be, the faults of the current philosophy of eat less/burn more, and how many calories you should really be eating.
Needless to say, according to this book, I was eating the wrong diet for my type, not eating enough calories and not drinking enough water. (I was already drinking 100 ounces! How much more did I need?) According to the book, my macronutrient ratio is: 12% fat/ 68% carbohydrates/ 20% protein. (Keep in mind-this is what’s right for me, not necessarily everyone. Remember, keto works for A LOT of people, but it didn’t work for me. I’ll cover why in another blog.) Since reading the book, I have increased my calories by 200 to 300/day, increased my water intake by 80 ounces a day, increased my carbohydrates from 30%/day to 68%/day. (More than double).
What was the result?
I lost 4.8 pounds in 7 days!
It appears to be working, but, I’ll keep plugging away and let you know how it goes.
Here are the averages for the 4 days- from July 14, 2017 to July 17, 2017
- Average Calories/day – 1638.75
- Friday – 1385
- Saturday – 1687
- Sunday – 1805
- Monday – 1678
- Macronutrient percentages
- Fat average – 18% – 33.75 grams
- Friday – 16%
- 25 grams
- Saturday – 19%
- 35 grams
- Sunday – 18%
- 36 grams
- Monday – 21%
- 39 grams
- Friday – 16%
- Carbohydrate average – 61% – 252 grams
- Friday – 60%
- 217 grams
- Saturday – 63%
- 266 grams
- Sunday – 62%
- 281 grams
- Monday – 59%
- 244 grams
- Friday – 60%
- Protein average – 20.5% – 84.75 grams
- Friday – 24%
- 86 grams
- Saturday – 18%
- 80 grams
- Sunday – 20%
- 88 grams
- Monday – 20%
- 85 grams
- Friday – 24%
- Fiber average –
- Friday – 36 grams
- Saturday – 43 grams
- Sunday – 35 grams
- Monday – 23 grams
- Fat average – 18% – 33.75 grams
Exercise totals and averages –
- Miles average – 1.47 (goal was 3 miles/day)
- Saturday – 1.45
- Sunday – 1.49
- Steps average – 3522 (goal was 6000 steps/day)
- Friday – 2422
- Saturday – 4117
- Sunday – 4225
- Monday – 3325
- Yoga – performed 1 time during the 4 day period. My goal is 2 – 3 times per week.
Below is a pdf version of the above information.
Well, that’s it for this edition of My Food Journal. Stay tuned next Monday for the next edition when I’ll take a look at my goals, and see how I’m doing so far.
Thank you for your patience with this journal. I’m hoping that the changes to my schedule will help me stay more consistent.