Just when society was beginning to accept that saturated fat was okay to consume, it’s under attack, once again. As you may, or may not know, the American Heart Association ( AHA) has come out with a report demonizing ALL saturated fats, including coconut oil. This report has the whole natural health and holistic nutrition community in an uproar. So, what should you believe? I want you to keep in mind that the AHA is the same group that considers refined vegetable oil to be healthy.
Our society is chronically unhealthy and we all know this. The low fat trend, recommended by the AHA, began an era that demonized fat, specifically saturated fat, which still continues to this day. Is this a healthy trend? Is it logical to continue to demonize fat? Since the 1970’s, when the low fat trend began, our society has progressively grown fatter and sicker. Let’s take a look at some statistics and you can judge for yourself:
- chronic diseases affect approximately 133 million Americans, 40% of the population . (1)
- In 2009, 7 out of 10 deaths in the U.S. were due to chronic diseases. More than 50% if deaths each year are due to heart disease, cancer and stroke. (1)
- The Worldwide rate of obesity has nearly doubled since 1980, – approximately 500 million adults worldwide are currently classified as obese. (2)
- Approximately 2/3 of the US population (70%) is overweight or obese. (2) Of that portion of the population, 30% are obese. (6) For comparison, in 1970, the obesity rate was 14%. (6)
- In 1973, 2.04% of the US population (4.19 million people) had been diagnosed with Diabetes. In 2015, that number had increased to 7.4% (23.35 million people) (3)
- On the chart below, courtesy of lanekenworthy.net, notice the sharp increase in obesity since 1980. (the low fat recommendations came out in 1976)
Below are several videos from different medical professionals giving their opinions on whether or not coconut oil is healthy. Listen to one or all, then you can judge for yourself. I have also included 4 articles against coconut oil, so you can see both sides of the argument. What are your thoughts on coconut oil? At the end of the day, if you’re unsure of all this or just don’t care, I say JUST EAT REAL FOOD. Get your fat from whole food sources such as nuts, seeds, chia, flax, fish, coconuts, grass-fed beef and avocado.
God Bless! Namaste! #sharethejoy
Dr. Mark Hyman
Here are the articles against coconut oil