Below is a video with Oprah interviewing Deepak Chopra.
In the interview, he answers viewer questions and gives his best tips on meditation.
- Best time to meditate-in the morning and late afternoon (before evening meal)
- Meditate 15 to 20 minutes twice a day
- You should sit when you meditate. If you lie down, you may fall asleep.
- Saying a mantra is better than silence- “OM”, “I AM”, or “SO HUM” are all great mantras
- Using sounds of nature or soft music can be used and is helpful
- Observe breathing, but don’t manipulate the breath. It will get slower and deeper on its own.
- Trying to silence a thought, is itself a thought. Being aware of a thought is not a thought. Acknowledge the thoughts, but, don’t try to silence thoughts. If you leave them alone, they will eventually go away on their own.
- Visualize your dreams BEFORE you meditate NOT DURING meditation. If you visualize DURING meditation, you’re activating the mind. The purpose of mediation is to QUIET the mind.