Drunken Acorn Squash with Forbidden Black Rice and Winter Fruit! – Chef Gigi Gaggero
Black rice, otherwise known as forbidden rice, is an ancient grain with quite impressive health benefits, and more nutritious than other varieties of rice. Forbidden rice has been part of the Asian diet for thousands of years, mainly reserved for royalty, thus the name “forbidden”. (1)
Forbidden rice is packed with disease fighting antioxidants, fiber, anti-inflammatory properties and the ability to fight chronic disease like cancer and heart disease.(1)
Here are just a few of the many health benefits:
- Heart protection
- High fiber – digestive health
- Gluten free
- Slow sugar absorption-prevent diabetes
- Better Obesity prevention than other grains
A one-half cup serving of cooked black rice, or about ¼ cup uncooked, contains approximately (in daily recommended values):(1)
- 160 calories
- 1.5 grams of fat
- 34 grams of carbohydrates
- 2 grams of fiber
- 5 grams of protein
- 4% DV for iron
A rice comparison: (1)
- Polished white rice – contains 6.8 protein, 1.2 iron, 0.6 fiber.
- Brown rice: 7.9 protein, 2.2 iron, and 2.8 fiber.
- Red rice: 7.0 protein, 5.5 iron, and 2.0 fiber.
- Black rice: 8.5 protein, 3.5 iron, 4.9 fiber, and the highest amount of antioxidants of any rice variety.
You can find forbidden rice at Amazon with Lotus food.
FOR THE MAIN RECIPE, SELECT THE LINK BELOW:
Source: Drunken Acorn Squash with Forbidden Black Rice and Winter Fruit! – Chef Gigi Gaggero
- For more information on black rice: https://draxe.com/forbidden-rice/