Clean eating… You may have heard this term thrown around, but what exactly does this mean? According to “Veronica’s Snacks”, there are 10 basic principles to remember.
- Eat a wide-variety of whole unrefined and unprocessed foods in a form that’s as close as possible to how the foods appear in nature.
- Try to avoid processed sugars and food where possible.
- Eliminate refined sugar.
- Try limit the use of saturated fat and AVOID all trans fats, substitute for healthy, GOOD Fats such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats…(I need to add here…avoid ALL processed vegetable oils such as corn, canola, and soy. These are considered polyunsaturated, but highly inflammatory. AND saturated fats get a bad rap, we’ll discuss this more in a different blog.)
- Always try to have a balance meal, combined of complex carbohydrates, lean protein and some healthy fats.
- Try to spread your food out over 5-6 smaller meals, consumed every 2-3 hours.
- Avoid “empty” calories found in fast food, soda, snacks, cakes and cookies, and substitute in nutrient-dense homemade snacks.
- Watch your Portion sizes. (See the image below)
- Drink LOTS of Water. (Water is SUPER important. Stay tuned for a future blog dedicated to the importance of water)
- Eat Clean and Healthy 80% of the time means you can treat yourself 20% of the time. (I personally advocate 85/15. You need to find the range that works for you.)
For more detailed information regarding these 10 guidelines, follow the link below: